Thanks Mother Nature, for the great day to reconnect with an old friend!

We had planned to make our way to Larchmont or City Island today to position ourselves for the run thru Hell’s Gate on Friday but last night after dinner the winds picked up to 20kts with gusts to 35+. Being in an unfamiliar area, the Captain took anchor watch til 03:30AM, through a 6+’ low tide, to make sure we were ok. The winds died down but as the tide came the winds strengthened again and by 06:45 we were slipping dangerously close to a power boat swinging widely from starboard to port. We jumped to the helm, motored up to full throttle fighting 25kts winds, dropped the mooring quickly and motored to a town mooring for a more secure position. Man, the adrenaline was flowing! As we waiting for the winds to subside we all went back to bed for some more shut eye knowing we were safe and secure. At about 10:00 AM we rallied with hot coffee and a scrambled egg breakfast (seasoned with portabella mushrooms, asparagus and red onion!) to reevaluate the conditions. With a marine forecast promising a repeat performance of yesterdays strong W winds we decided to stay put!

Port Jefferson was waiting for us and getting our land legs was enticing! Nina knew she had a high school friend in the area, Tom Tripp, and reached out to see if we could meet up. Tom was able to arrange his schedule to meet us… it was great! He gave us a tour of the charming downtown Pt Jefferson and even chauffeured us around to several supply stores in a hunt for a replacement fuse!

For the remainder of the afternoon we enjoyed a few drinks and appetizers of delicious Blue Point Oysters on the half shell, baked stuffed clams and crab cakes (the latter from an unknown location not near LIS!) at the lovely Danford Hotel overlooking the Harbor. It was a relaxing visit that gave us time to get caught up on history, life events, share stories, and yes, Adrien had to tell a few jokes! As the last launch back to D was at 18:00, we parted ways with hugs and promises to stay in touch! Tom ‘s offer to help bring D back through NY next spring was duly noted and will be scheduled!! What a great afternoon! Thanks MN for that opportunity to spend time with Tom!

20121011-205047.jpgGreat visit with Tom

When we got back to D we reviewed updated wind, current and tide conditions and decided that a night sail to Larchmont will be the best way to beat the projected strong cold front and returning winds. So after a night cap shot of JW Black it’s off to bed for an early rise at 02:00 to be on our way to Larchmont Harbor, ETA 10/12/12 08:30.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Thanks Mother Nature, for the great day to reconnect with an old friend!

  1. oceanlines says:

    I had a GREAT time with y’all. Dolphin looks both capable and beautiful, just like her crew! Good to finally meet Adrien AND his sense of humor, and nice to meet Sue Too!! Fair winds, folks!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s